Saturday, December 8, 2007

8 on the 8th Race Report

It was a cool 53 degrees when I stepped out the door this morning to warm up for this highly anticipated event. I was alone for my warm-up jog. Well, at least I thought I was. Little did I know there was a vicious canine lurking beneath the black SUV in an upcoming driveway. The dog sprang, narrowly missing the reflective lettering on my lower pant leg. It retreated, and the moment I thought it was gone, it attacked again, this time nipping my calf. Luckily it didn't break through my pants, but it did give me a good sized bruise with some matching teeth marks. Thinking it would be fine though, I finished my warm up and headed toward the start line. I made it just in time for the 9:13 AM start.

I tried to keep a nice easy pace as I haven't run for nearly two weeks because of my cold and my sore hammies. It was pretty quiet out there on the race course. I only saw one other runner, and she was going the wrong way. The course wrapped around and through some housing developments on paved paths and horse trails, but I did have to wait for traffic at a couple locations. The race finished at the park where my wife and kids met me at the finish line (my girls actually were the finish line). We embraced, enjoyed some post-race refreshment, and walked back home.

This was a very enjoyable race. The best virtual race I have ever participated in. I finished in a time of 1:04:48, a little slower than I was hoping for, but hey, I got bit by a dog, for cryin' out loud! Thanks to Nancy for organizing a great event!

Update:
The official results are in. Pictures, awards, and everything.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness -- that picture of your girls holding the finish line tape is priceless! Way to go!

Cheryl said...

So sorry about the dog attack. They should be in the backyard, not running free. Great job on the run and what a team of finish line girls you have. Good JoB!!

Topher said...

You should get a special award for that bite, or at least a refund on your registration fee. Talk to Nancy and see what she can do :)

Great job, looks like the family had fun, too.

Topher
www.illrunfordonuts.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Ahem ! It looked like teeth mark of a Poodle dog on your leg.

Great report!!! Man - 53 degrees! I would love to run in that kind of temperature.

Ted

Nancy said...

Obviously, I love the finish line pic, I used it in the results post! They are dolls.

Great report and thanks so much for joining us.

You are officially a "Breakneck Brother" !!

The Laminator said...

Omigosh, your girls are amazing. Nice race report.

Just one question: Are your girls employed for the finish at Boston '08?

peter said...

Bitten by a dog. Man! Did you feel like biting it back? I ran a race last year where a guy was bowled over by a deer bolting from the brush and across the road (he, the runner, was in the hospital 3 days). Way to shoulder on and finish!

Bob A said...

Dog bite -- been there, done that and did not enjoy it. Good run, though. Enjoyed running "with" you!

Bob
Richmond, VA

Nancy said...

There is now a 9 on the 9th of February. Hope you can join us!!